Building Regulations – Where you stand.

Loft conversions always need approval under Building Regulations (Building Regulations approval is a totally separate thing to planning permission). We would strongly recommend that you go for a full plan application and get a detailed scheme approved prior to you finding a builder. You can find some useful tips and information on how to choose a builder here. Having an approved design will take a lot of the risk out of the work. It also means that the builder or builders that you choose to come and give you a price for your project will have a chance to give you a fixed price quotation, rather than just a vague estimate.

Party Wall Act.

If your house is a semi-detached or a terraced house, don’t forget to notify your neighbour of your intentions and proposals. This will usually fall under the Party Wall Act 1996. Your Building Control officer will inspect the work at various different stages of the project to make sure that everything is as it should be, and meets the required specification. There will also be a final inspection from Building Control. At this stage of the project, you should be issued a completion certificate. Make sure that you don’t settle any final accounts until you’ve received the certificate.

More often than not, if you choose a good building company, they will take care of the Building Control side of things for you.

Further Information.

If you’re still unsure about where you stand with Building Regulations, Building Control and planning permission, please don’t worry. There is plenty more information available via the government websites and planning portals. You can also give us a call on 01943 884899, or feel free to complete the contact form on our website and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.